Sunday, August 3, 2008

Scary morning

The dogs and I went to the park this morning, our normal Sunday AM ritual. I have a group of friends, whom I met at the park, that all go on Sunday mornings. We call ourselves the Alpha Group. The dogs love going to the park. I go sit with my friends and chit chat while they run around and play with theirs. They come over and check in with me once in a while. The park is 4 acres and they enjoy every inch of it...and when we go home a few hours later they are good, sleepy puppies the rest of the day!

This morning we had been there for about 90 mins. Allie comes over and I notice the top of her nose looks bumpy. She was just playing with another dog and they were kind of "mouthy" with each other, so I didn't think much of it. A few minutes later she comes trotting back and the entire right side of her face is swollen like a balloon...and her eye is all puffy. I start freaking out. My friends think she got stung by a bee or a wasp or rolled in a pile of fire ants. They recommend benedryl.

So I get the dogs loaded in the truck...and she's getting worse by the minute. I fly in and out of Walgreens to pick up some benedryl and speed like a maniac to get home. By the time we got home, her entire face was swollen. Her lips were 3x the size they should be and her eyes were tiny slits. Remember Will Smith in Hitch? When he ate the shellfish and had an allergic reaction? Yup...that's how my poor Allie dog looked!

I gave her some benedryl (which is a whole other story that involved a turkey baster since dummy me was in such a rush that I picked up the liquid and not the pills) & then called the e-vet. They tell me to just keep an eye on her and if she gets any worse or starts to have problems breathing to bring her in. Lovely!

It took the entire day and another dose of benedryl, but most of the swelling has gone down. She's laying at my feet...groggy...and still shaking her head a bit, but she's much better. She may sleep until Tuesday at this rate. And I think I gained a few more grey hairs

1 comment:

Beth @ TheAngelForever said...

Holy cow! Did you ever figure out what the cause was? So glad that you got the meds into Allie and that she is responding to them. Last weekend my niece had a violent allergic reaction to something and we had to get Benedryl as well - miracle making stuff!

Keep us posted on how she is doing.