Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Aging Gracefully?

Ok - before I even start this entry I have to add that I don't do ANYTHING in my life gracefully. But I couldn't come up with a better title....

When do you start feeling old? Last week I turned another year older and went from being in my early 30's to my mid 30's. When I was in my tween years, 30 seemed so old. Now that I am in my 30's it really doesn't seem that big of a deal. I've yet to start feeling older. In fact, my mid 20's seems like just yesterday.

Don't get me wrong I have different priorities and responsibilities now (which entail a house payment and a marriage certificate)....and I know mentally I've done some maturing since those days....but I still don't feel older. Maybe it's because I still have the same friends....or work for the same company...or hell, even the same car (poor baby is 10 years old and still kicking!). Some things in life are just staples, I guess. There are some changes though...

Different things excite me now. A night out with the girls is a treat rather than a ritual. I am more delighted about receiving house-related gifts and buying stuff for the house, than I am things for myself (I recently bought a carpet cleaner and talked about it for weeks...and don't even get me started on my Roomba!) I carry a Crackberry and am constantly tied to me job, yet I don't mind (it makes me more money). On rainy weekend afternoons, I like to curl up with a good book & a cup of coffee and watch the thunderstorms roll by.

And this makes me wonder how I'll feel into my 40's. Will I feel older then? Will I look back on these years and see a distinction between the decades? Or will the old saying be right...and age really be just a number?

1 comment:

Chloe_KittyKat said...

Every age landmark I hit I keep thinking that I'm finally gonna feel mature. I never do, I still feel like a kid pretending to be an adult. I used to hate that but now I kinda hope I still feel the same when I'm 70!