Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I Remember

Tomorrow is the anniversary of 9/11. It's hard to believe that it's been seven years....it seems like just last year. Alot has happened in my life in those seven years, but the memories of that day are still fresh in my mind. It wasn't just an ordinary day for me. I wasn't among co-workers or friends or going on with my every-day life. It was the day I officially became a Floridian. I was starting a brand new life, in a brand new state, 1200 miles away from the only place I had ever called home when the world came to a screeching halt.

My mom and I were unpacking the few things I was able to bring down in my car. One of those things was a clock radio/CD player (I need to have music!). We were putting away the stuff we had bought at WalMart the day before, while waiting for the movers to arrive with my furniture and other things, when we heard the breaking news over the radio that a plane had hit the WTC.

We immediately stopped what we were doing and glued our ears to the radio. When the movers arrived, the first thing they took off the truck was my TV. Being from that area, they too wanted to see what was going on. By the time the TV was hooked up, the first tower had already fallen. We cried as we tried to get in touch with family and could not get through to anyone. Little did we know, my father was helping the passengers off the SeaStreak (the NYC commuter ferries which are located in the marina my parents keep their boat in). Some had no idea where they were sent...they were just told to get out of NYC. My uncle was assisting the Coast Guard, with his personal boat, do the same.

Later that week my mom had to rent a car to get home. We weren't sure when she would be able to get on a flight. My sister and friends sent me pictures from candlelight vigils they attended. And pictures of the smoke that billowed over the city for days later.

I can't quite describe how I felt in those weeks following. It was a cross between the excitement of starting something new and the emptiness of what had just happened to what I consider my home city. On top of that, the feeling that I was so far away from anyone and everyone who mattered, at the time. And so began my life in FL.

2 comments:

Beth @ TheAngelForever said...

I remember those days so vividly. In fact, I recall trying to get a hold of you to see what was going on. I remember your mother having to go on a road adventure. I too will never forget.

happyathome said...

I know I will never forget and how lucky we are to have the liberties and freedome we have, those do not come free, as we have seen. ALWAYS remember 9/11. God Bless America.