Friday, September 5, 2008

Decisions...Decisions....

Earlier this week my car died (funeral services to be announced...). It's a long story, but basically the car needs more work than I am willing to put into it. I can't complain...the car has been very good to me through the years. I've had it for nearly 10 years and it is almost 160K miles on it. Up until this past 18 months, I've never had to do anything other than routine maintenance on it. Ok, there might be a small ding in the front from my fender bender seven years ago that I never got fixed, but the car ran like a champ!

It has safely taken me on many travels from Canada to the FL Keys. It has seen many highways and interstates. It was christened with a Cinco De Mayo to remember (thank you Sunny for puking in my new car!) It went to Woodstock in 99, moved me to FL in 2001 and has been to many a Nascar race from FL to Virginia. In recent years, I have kept it a little closer to home.

So now it is time for me to say goodbye (insert 'Taps' here), for tonight I go pick up my new car. There is only one problem....I haven't decided which to get yet. I have it narrowed down to two: a 2007 Jeep Liberty or a 2007 Chrysler Sebring. Both have less thank 8K miles - the closest to brand new I have ever come! They are both at the same dealership. We went to test drive both the other night, but the Sebring was not there, as it is being used as a demo car for one of the managers who had the day off. We drove the Liberty and really liked it. So tonight we are going to drive the Sebring and make a decision from there. There is no doubt in my mind I'll like it...its too similar to my car now...or my old car. I am making a pros and cons list to help me decide....

Pros for the Jeep/Cons for the Sebring:
  • The Jeep is fun to drive & I prefer to drive a truck/SUV over a car
  • Cheaper insurance
  • Towing capability
  • Plenty of room to now take my vehicle on road trips
  • Great for the dogs
  • Safer vehicle - The Liberty got a 5 star crash test rating!
  • Bryan prefers the Jeep

Pros for the Sebring/Cons for the Jeep:

  • The Sebring is 1K cheaper than the Jeep (i.e. lower payments)
  • Better gas mileage
  • It's silver...as opposed to the Jeep being white (which I typically don't like, but atleast the black trim on the Jeep makes it tolerable)
  • I LOVE the new body style of the Sebring, which was introduced in 07
  • We already have one SUV....we really don't NEED two

So there is my dilemma! Both are affordable and I have no doubt that I would keep either for a long time. I'm just like that with my cars. I guess we'll figure it out tonight. Either way...I'm coming home with a new car!! Now if only I could find someone else to make the payments....

1 comment:

Beth @ TheAngelForever said...

My goodness I have many memories of this car of yours and the convertible before it :)

I hope you enjoy whichever car you decide on this evening. I know my parents were SO close to getting a Liberty, but opted for an Altima instead thanks to the gas mileage.

Many happy miles ahead on your new car - can not wait to hear what you select!