Monday, July 27, 2009

Zucchini Bread

*sigh* The smell of fresh baked zucchini bread is floating through my house and with it brings back memories from my childhood. Zucchini bread was a summer staple in my our house growing up. Dad always planted zucchini in the garden so we had more than we knew what to do with. Mom would make zucchini bread for everyone we knewa nd there was atleast a loaf or two in the house for us.

My recipe for zucchini bread is atleast 3 generations old....and probably even older....handed down from my Dad's side of the family. And although I don't grow my own zucchini, the bread tastes just as good (and is a tad nostalgic).

Zucchini Bread:

3 eggs
2 cups of sugar
1 cup of vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups coarsely grated zucchini
2 cups flour
1 tbsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Preheat oven at 350 degrees.

Beat 3 eggs until thick and frothy, gradually add 2 cups of sugar, 1 cup vegetable oil & vanilla and beat well. Stir in 2 cups of zucchini, loosely packed. Add 2 cups of flour, 1 tbsp cinnamon, 2 tsp of baking soda, 1 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of baking powder. Stir until well combined. Add 1 cup of nuts (if using).

Divide batter evenly into two loaf pans and bake at 350 degrees for approximately one hour.

No comments: